For Immediate Release
June 26, 2017; 9:45am
DPHSS Release No. 2017-059
June 27th is National HIV Testing Day
In observance of National HIV Testing Day (NHTD) on June 27th, the Department of Public Health and Social Services (DPHSS), in collaboration with WestCare Pacific Islands and Guam’s Alternative Lifestyle Association (GALA), encourages the public to learn their HIV status by getting tested for HIV.
The theme for NHTD “Test Your Way. Do It Today” is a call to get tested now and a reminder that there are more ways than ever to get an HIV test, including at the offices of the DPHSS’ STD/HIV Program, WestCare Pacific Islands, Guam’s Alternative Lifestyle Association (GALA), or from your healthcare provider.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 1.1 million people in the United States have HIV, and 1 in 7 of them don’t know that they’re infected. CDC recommends that everyone between the ages of 13 and 64 get tested for HIV at least once as part of their routine health care, and that people with certain risk factors get tested more often.
Knowing your HIV status provides you with powerful information about your health status. If you test positive for HIV, you can take medicines to stay healthy and greatly reduce your chance of passing HIV to others. But the only way to know for sure if you have HIV is to get tested.
The public is encouraged to get tested at any of the following sites in commemoration of NHTD:
- STD/HIV Program Office, Room 156 at the DPHSS Central Facility in Mangilao:
- Testing hours: 8am to 5pm
- Contact: 734-AIDS (2437) or 488-4180 (Prutehi Hao! Outreach Line)
- GALA Office, Suite 307-A at the RK Plaza in Tamuning:
- Testing hours: 9am to 8pm
- Contact: 969-5483, 487-4306 or 487-2167 (24-Hour HelpLine)
- WestCare Pacific Islands Office, Suite 207 at the Reflection Center in Hagåtña:
- Testing hours: 9am to 6pm
- Contact: 472-0218/9
For information about STD/HIV-related services available on island, contact the Guam AIDS Hotline at 734-AIDS (2437) or visit the Prutehi Hao website at: www.prutehihao.guam.gov .